Today I found out some exciting news! This summer I will be spending 12 hours a week working at a local organic farm in exchange for a full share of produce, herbs and flowers. I can’t wait to get my hands in the dirt.
I also recently discovered my new (only) favorite farming blog, so the timing is pretty great. Let’s celebrate with a healthy brunch, shall we?
Fresh off an eleven and a half day cleanse (I couldn’t let National Pizza Week go by without celebrating last Friday night) I made this dish for brunch on Saturday (and again on Sunday). It is the perfect thing for a reformed vegetarian diet that will be heavier on the avocados and lighter on the cheese. With a hot cup of black coffee on the side (it was only warm water and lemon juice for 12 mornings), it tasted like spring.
Garlicky Kale Toast with Avocado and Fried Egg
From Dishing Up the Dirt
- Two large slices of a good quality baguette
- 2 eggs (organic free range if possible)
- 1 large bunch kale, stems removed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 small ripe avocado, pit removed
- 1 TBS olive oil plus 1 tsp for drizzling
- 2-3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add kale and sauté for about 5 more minute or until kale is tender and bright green.
- Meanwhile, poach two eggs in boiling water for 4 minutes (you could also fry two eggs instead*)
- Toast two slices of baguette
- Spread a little avocado onto each slice of bread. Top with kale and poached egg. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Enjoy!
*Having never poached an egg, I fried the eggs in a little coconut oil